Whether you are involved in competitive sports or simply play sports for a hobby, there are aspects of a sports massage that could benefit you. Sports massages are oftentimes discounted because of some of the myths that surround around. It is important to know the difference between myth and fact when you are deciding whether or not you need a sports massage. King David Therapy is here to talk about some of the most common myths surrounding sports massages so you can decide if it is something that you could benefit from.
Common Misconceptions About Sports Massage
Don’t let yourself get discouraged from some of these sports massage myths:
- Only Athletes Need Them: Some people might think that only elite athletes can benefit from a sports massage. This is simply untrue. If you are a person who participates in any sort of physical exercise on a daily or regular basis, your body could likely benefit from a sports massage. It doesn’t matter what level you are playing a sport at; a sports massage can help you avoid injury during physical exertion.
- Sports Massage Hurts: There are some forms of massage like deep tissue massage that can sometimes hurt. However, sports massages do not. You can work with your massage therapist to determine the intensity of the massage. If you are looking for a little deeper tissue work, you can ask for that. Just because you ask for a sports massage, it does not mean that it needs to be painful. That being said, it is normal to feel some soreness after a sports massage.
- Only Injuries Benefit: Some people think that you need to have an injury to have a sports massage when in fact, a sports massage can help protect you from injury. There is no doubt about it though, if you have been injured playing sports, one of the best ways to speed up your recovery is through sports massage. Sports massage can help improve your flexibility, promote blood flow, and help you avoid injury in the first place.
- No Pain = No Massage: Other people think that the only time that you need a sports massage is when you are experiencing pain while working out. There are definitely people out there that will not get a massage until they are experiencing pain however, when you are getting a regular massage you will find that you experience far less pain than somebody that does not participate in sports massage.
- You Only Need to Go Once: Another common misconception is that it only takes one massage to help you in your treatment. You don’t expect results from the gym after only one visit, and you shouldn’t expect results after one sports massage either.
Massage Therapy & More in Greater Miami Beach, Downtown Miami, Brickell, Hialeah, Miami Gardens, Kendall, Fort Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines & Hollywood, FL
If you are interested in a sports massage, you can rely on the therapists at King David Therapy to help. We will make sure you’re less likely to get injured during your exercise and physical activities with our sports massage service. Call us today!